Friday, April 6, 2012

Get the Dirt on Your Dirt

  With spring arriving early in Minnesota most people are trying to get a jump on their gardens.  I like to remind people we still live in Minnesota and anything can happen.  Do I practice what I preach? Nope! I have spinach, lettuce, beans, and some peas in the soil.  I won't be putting out any peppers or tomatoes quite yet.  The soil temperature is still a little to low for my tastes.  Speaking of soil, when is the last time you had your tested?

  I feel that soil testing could be one of the most important parts of having a successful garden.  I like to work the ground beneath my feet, I feel more connected to the land this way. But to insure that what I am growing for the people I love I believe that I owe it to them to get the dirt on my dirt.  How do I get my soil tested one might ask? I live in Minneapolis and here the city provides free testing for lead.  If you live out side the city of Minneapolis check with your local government to see what they offer.  For a more in depth look at what you have in your yard, the University of Minnesota Soil Testing Laboratory is one of the best places to start.  The U will test the soil for phosphorus, potassium, pH – lime requirement, total organic matter, and estimated texture all for $15. For and additional $5 they will test for excessive salts (soluble salts) and for only $15 more you can have it tested for lead (requires separate sample). They offer a simple to use submission form and will make recommendations based on your test results.

Another great resource for, not only soil concerns but all your gardening needs, is you local University of Minnesota Extension office Home of the Master Gardener program, Extension provides a mass of resources, tips and tricks, and classes for the average person. It's a great link for the gardener to the vast knowledge data base of solutions at the University of Minnesota.

If you have questions, you might not be the only one with that question, post it on our Facebook page or hit us up on Twitter or  feel free to email us at buchananstreetfarms@gmail.com We may not know the answer but we'll do our best to find out.

As always happy growing. Nothing builds a heart felt relationship like sharing food with the ones we love.

Mike Smieja and Roscoe

No comments:

Post a Comment